Friday, August 24, 2007

What Did You Learn In School Today?

11 comments:

Fran said...

kelso that is so great.
so great.

KELSO'S NUTS said...

Great song. But if you go back and listen to every song on Paxton's RAMBLING BOY and AIN'T THAT NEWS? you will be amazed at how prophetic he was and how EXACTLY Iraq is like Vietnam, the only difference being today the "center" of the Democratic Party is about where the "center" of the Republican Party was then.

"Anita" really was right that the "movement" model of the 60s beats anything we're seeing from U.S. protest today, but each generation has to find its own way and design its own models of opposition. Johnny Thunders was a suggestion, a kick-start not a damnation of Dylan or Country Joe or McGuire or anybody.

Madam Z said...

Great song, but I feel like throwing up every time I see Bushman's face. If only we could kidnap him and put him in a military uniform and make him drive a truck down a road leading to Baghdad.

KELSO'S NUTS said...

Bush is a symptom, not the problem. He's as repulsive to you and me as Bill Clinton was to Republican votes, but it's the system that's failed you. Don't fail yourself.

Distributorcap said...

this reminds me a lot of Tom Lehrer......

How did we ever get to a point where this country is SO divided. I agree President Asshole is a sympton --- of a very deep and maybe insurmountable problem. But unfortunately this sympton is causing death and destruction beyond our wildest dreams

anita said...

great choice, kelso. and .. per distributor cap, i can see how this can remind one of tom lehrer. my favorite tom leher: the alma mahler song!

i'm sure it won't surprise you that i'm a tom paxton fan. this particular song, what did you learn today, was covered by pete seeger.

here's where i break with the 'hippies' ... i always had a problem with p. seeger. his songs are nice and motivated a lot of people and he came from a very musically accomplished family. however, something always annoyed me about him. maybe it was some kind air about him that made me think he felt he was 'holier than thou.' he's a really old guy now. and i've seen him a number of times at the farmer's market here in beacon. and now that i've seen him close up, i still get that feeling.

i shared this impression with my seriously lefty and anti-war brother. he almost hung up the phone on me. i wonder if we'll ever speak again ...

oh well. blood IS thinker than water, non?

KELSO'S NUTS said...

Anita:

You know I have mad respect for you and your brother, so I'm going to have to split the difference.

I like Pete Seeger quite a bit. In fact, I like his version of "Little Boxes" better than the original. I see your point about him and I've always thought he was a little soft as compared with maybe WOODY GUTHRIE, LEADBELLY or BILLY BRAGG, and as compared with DYLAN and even TOM PAXTON in Seeger's salad days.

But, Guapa, you've sort of back-doored my choice of the JOHNNY THUNDERS cover of "Eve Of Destruction," non?

anita said...

i'm not sure what you mean by "back-doored" ...

KELSO'S NUTS said...

Argued my point convincingly AFTER having opposed it.

anita said...

oooohhh !! so funny !!

Mary Ellen said...

I love this! Never heard if him before, but I went back to see some of his other stuff on YouTube. Thanks, kelso!